maandag 21 augustus 2023

[Culinair] [Culinary] Making Chili with Imperial Stout, tonka, cumin and carob

Carob is a cocoa-like sweetener from the Ceratonia siliqua (Johannesbroodboom). The pods from this tree are often used as a cheaper alternative to almond paste and chocolate. I used carob to deepen the taste of my Chili, along with a tiny bit of tonka and lots of cumin. To get a darker Chili, I added Russian Imperial Stout (RIS) beer.

Now, I never want to put in too much effort to serve a dish, hence my recipes usually take 15 to 30 minutes at maximum to create a full, satiating meal. 

Ingredients
* Red, green and yellow bell peppers;
* 4 onions;
* 6 cloves of garlic;
* Ginger, cut in slices;
* 2 rawit/bird's eye peppers;
* Black turtle beans;
* Red kidney beans;
* Corn;
* Tomato parts;

* Chili powder;
* Cumin seeds, ground;
* Ground tonka;
* Carob;
* Russian Imperial Stout

I used a spice/coffee grinder to mix the ground tonka, chili powder, cumin seeds and carob. I cut the bell peppers, onions, garlic, ginger and bird's eye peppers in fine slices and cooked them in vegetable oil (I used olive oil). I added the spices, cooked the beans and corn along for a few minutes and seasoned my Chili with Russian Imperial Stout (a coffee-bourbon vanilla-chocolate fused dark Stout).






Selecting ingredients, including the Imperial Stout. "Met Jan naar de Maan" translates as "Flying to the Moon with John". These weird names illustrate Dutch beer jokes and puns.

"Little Sparrow" Stout.

Washing the basmati rice thouroughly to remove excess starch. I am often told by Dutch people that this is something that Asians do. Well, surprise, I am not really Dutch.

Vomito Marrone! To be honest, real life food pictures are never cookbook picturesque. The carob, tonka and Imperial Stout give off a very "Cocoa Diarrhoea" brown color