zondag 3 september 2023

My vintage style

Boring you with the art of vintage shopping! Sometimes I like to elaborate on some mindless topics. I hardly ever buy new clothing, but I do enjoy browsing for real vintage items.

I don't do thrift shopping. I browse for online customers who sell brand-new clothing items for about a fraction of the original retail price. Most of the time, people have bought clothing items that were too small and they were not in time to return the item or swap it for the right size.
Absurd as it may seem, almost all of my "vintage" clothing purchases arrived with the price tag still attached with tie-wraps. My winter coat (a teddy fur) was even not unpacked by the seller.

Not only do I own clothing items that I bought for 20-30 bucks while its original price was 600, I also got my hands on items from previous seasons that I have always wanted to wear but were out of stock. I even have a 60-years-old item.

I never followed fashion nor do I engage in fast fashion, hence is why vintage shopping is perfect for me. I shift from decade to decade and indulge in ecletic color explosions, natural fabrics and natural fibers, prints and accessoiries. Much like my furniture, most of what I own is from natural products. I make an exception for at-home wear, like my vintage bikini suit from Crete.


I only dress like this in my own house and its garden that I will have to leave behind between now and one week, sadly. It was 35 degrees Celsius when I looked like this. And I was making curry. I have slightly visible abs and toned legs by nature. My mother was like this too, but skinnier.

It is a genetic trait to have protuding hip bones. I never knew they were a fashion craze until other students kept staring at my bones and started discussing the "hip bone" rage. It was the new thigh gap: you will never get that in a healthy way unless that trait is hereditary.

I don't do sports. This is just a result of my East-Slavic genetic makeup (an athletic build by birth), Asian hypermobility, a high metabolism and a hyperactive biorhythm. Daily activities like running errands add to my muscular tone.

I really like this vintage leather outfit. I love the soft touch of it.



This cotton green skirt with an uneven hem and high waist is a favorite. It is from a 2004 collection. I wish there was something similar available.    





This is my go-to outfit. I have tons of skintight cotton t-shirts and I wear Wolford dresses since age 16. They don't crumble or crinkle.

Pinafore. Once a maid's dress, the modern pinafore is a sexy dress.

This is a soft cotton set. It is at least 20 years old and I love it so much, I wish I could have it duplicated. My hairdo is my own 110 cm-braid that I often wear like a crown, rolled around my head. I occasionally wear Russian braids since childhood.

This is the 5th time I have grown such long hair. It grows faster than 1 cm per month, because genetically I am primed for the harsh climate extremes of the East-European deserts.








I get often asked whether I am heading out for a party. I wear this cotton swing dress and petticoat on everyday occasions. Because of the cotton fabric, this dress feels very soft and comfortable. Next to my leather clothes, this is my favorite vintage find.


I get a lot of comments on how this swing dress reminds people of their youth in the 50s and 60s. This dress was easily one of my best vintage finds. I found a similar dress for 15 euros. Looking like this literally doesn't have to be expensive